Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bruce Springsteen's 'Magic' Set for October 2 Release on Columbia Records



Here's the press release from Shore Fire:

'Magic,' Bruce Springsteen's new studio recording and his first with the E Street Band in five years, is set for release by Columbia Records on October 2, 2007. Produced and mixed by Brendan O'Brien, the album features eleven new Springsteen songs and was recorded at Southern Tracks Recording Studio in Atlanta, GA.

'Magic' Song Titles:

1. Radio Nowhere
2. You'll Be Comin' Down
3. Livin' in the Future
4. Your Own Worst Enemy
5. Gypsy Biker
6. Girls in Their Summer Clothes
7. I'll Work for Your Love
8. Magic
9. Last to Die
10. Long Walk Home
11. Devil's Arcade

'Magic' is the first new studio album by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band since 2002's GRAMMY Award-winning, multi-platinum, number one album 'The Rising' (Columbia Records), which was also produced by O'Brien.

Bruce Springsteen's longtime manager Jon Landau said, "'Magic' is a high energy rock CD. It's light on its feet, incredibly well played by Bruce and the members of the E Street Band, and, as always, has plenty to say. It's also immensely entertaining. 'Magic' is the third collaboration between Bruce and Brendan O'Brien and is a culmination of their very productive creative relationship."

Here's a promo photo:


Photo by Mark Seliger

Photo Credit: Mark Seliger



This Photo Credit: Mark Seliger


This is great new that Bruce has some new music coming out. I've got to say that the album cover and the promo photo looks like Bruce and Co. are making one last effort to appeal to the "kids." CBS Sony has a lot of money invested in Bruce and it looks like they're making an effort to recoup some of that by broadening the Boss's market.

The last thing Springsteen has ever been to me is a posturing pop star. These photos make me feel otherwise. They indicate a sea change from the Devils and Dust and Seeger Sessions era where Bruce had grown up and his music had matured and began delivering on the promises that he had made with his previous music. "Magic" feels contrived without even hearing the music. Bruce just needs to be Bruce.

Of course, the proof will be in the grooves come October. I really had hoped that Bruce would have used a different producer than Brendan O'Brien. I've never felt that he put enough space in Bruce's recordings and they alway sound just a little over-produced with a drum sound that really bugs me after a while. But, Bruce and Co. feel that they need a producer that is up to date and current.

I know, it sound like I'm bitching and bitching, but I've been into Springsteen since 1976 and his music has been a large part of my life so I guess I feel some sort of silly right to be critical rather than sycophantic. And his last two projects were really pretty spectacular. 'Magic' feels like a shallow step backwards at a time in Bruce's career when he really doesn't have time to endure such a step. And, if this thing is a turkey, I'll hate seeing half full arenas on some of his tour stops.

Ya know what? I hope I'm wrong about all of this and 'Magic' is fab and some of Springsteen's best work. And if I am wrong, I'll be the first to admit it.

1 comment:

ChrisMooreMusic said...

I have to admit, as a BIG fan of recent Bruce Springsteen songs, I haven't piked up the Seeger Sessions yet. I really do like cover songs in moderation, but I wasn't sure that I could go a whole album without a Springsteen original. Maybe I'll give it a shot...